It is currently December 16th, 2018, 12:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Has anyone else run accross Eragon haters? 
Peasant Elder
Peasant Elder

Post Re: Has anyone else run accross Eragon haters?
no, my friends either love the book or just don't read

June 21st, 2007, 6:11 pm
RPG Team
RPG Team

Location: I don't know, how could you expect me to when it was you who brought me here!
Affiliation: Dragonriders
Dragon: Avadius
One of my friends likes the movie but doesn't like the book which i think is weird. Aslo onbe of my friedns friends (He used to be my friend but not any more) used to like Eragon but doesn't anymore just because my friend doesn't.

Neutral:
Snare

Evil:
Crimson Dsurion Demondred "Destroyer of Hope" Solstus "Dragon of the Night"

Let your spirit flow in each and everyone one of us and may we bask in your forgiveness, love, and mercy.

June 22nd, 2007, 1:25 am
Dragon Egg Carrier
Dragon Egg Carrier

i have met quite a few people that don't like eragon, but i agree. you can't compare cp to tolkien, cp was only 15 when he wrote those books! he will definately improve with age. i've tried to get a couple of friends to read eragon, but they just said that it was boring. one person couldn't even get past the prolouge without getting really bored! only one of my friend likes eragon. so, yeah, i've met a lot of eragon haters!

its bunny!!!! add him to your signature for world domination!

You are most like BROM

You are indeed wise and experienced! You may encounter foes along your path and you are definitely brave enough to face them. However, you are wise enough to know when you can avoid a fight and save your energy. Your keen ability to think on your feet, resourcefulness, and ability to make allies are skills invaluable in any conflict.
http://alagaesia.com/characters/index.html

August 2nd, 2007, 12:32 pm
New Peasant
New Peasant

:twisted: Well, to play Devil's Advocate, except not really, you have to realize, Paolini started it when he was fifteen, he was nineteen when it was actually published. Eldest was published when he was around twenty-two, so he no longer has that excuse. And, you know, when it was first published? His parents owned the company that did it, and it was a combination of advertising and luck that it got picked up by the big companies, so it's not as surprising as it looks that he got published so 'young'.
And the anti-shur'tugals and other Eragon-haters do, in fact, make some really good points about the book comparisons, the characters, the purple prose, and the world-building. Here's a site that is basically a chapter-by-chapter commentary of Eragon and Eldest, and it basically details everything I find wrong with the books myself. It's sarcastic and humorous as well, provided you don't take the site or the books too seriously. :P
http://eragon-sporkings.wikispaces.com/
Myself, I don't really care for the books all that much, but I'm addicted to anything that involves people bonding to animals, so hey. It's really the opportunity for fanfiction and roleplay (if I ever get approved) that keeps my interest.

As a city with no room for its king.

August 2nd, 2007, 2:20 pm
Dragon Egg Carrier
Dragon Egg Carrier

well, yeah, your right, but that still is pretty young. the average 22 year-old (how old is he now?) would be in their last year of college. how many people publish their second book in their last year of college? not many.

its bunny!!!! add him to your signature for world domination!

You are most like BROM

You are indeed wise and experienced! You may encounter foes along your path and you are definitely brave enough to face them. However, you are wise enough to know when you can avoid a fight and save your energy. Your keen ability to think on your feet, resourcefulness, and ability to make allies are skills invaluable in any conflict.
http://alagaesia.com/characters/index.html

August 3rd, 2007, 12:09 pm
Peasant
Peasant

I have seen plenty of Eragon haters, and a lot that say he took from Tolkin and Star Wars. While he was probably influenced with the stories, it's hard to say anything wasn't in some way influenced by Tolkin's work or Star Wars. But I get a little annoyed when people say that he blatantly plagiarized the works. It's hard to write anything completely original now a days, it has already been done in some shape or form before.

Also, I heard that it was an author who brought the book of 'Eragon' to the attention of his publisher, Alfred A. Knopf, because his stepson had been reading the book.

December 8th, 2008, 3:18 am
New Peasant
New Peasant

i agree tolkein was one of the forefathers of modern fantasy novels. almost every book today has a connection to tolkeins books

December 14th, 2008, 11:37 pm
Peasant
Peasant

None of my friends have read the boox, they are creeped only when they see book which is that big...... :lol: thez barely even read some stupid teenage boox.....and this is too much 4 them,,,,,,,

so they didn't read the boox so they don't hate them...

but...
look what i've found

Gods Rest ye, Varden Warriors,
Let nothing ye dismay.
Remember that your savoir,
Was born some random day.
To save us all from Galby’s pow’r.
He led the dragon Riders astray,
Oh, let’s all pay tribute to this boy, idiot boy,
Oh let’s all pay tribute to this boy.
In some old house, in Carvahall,
This blessed Babe was born,
And laid upon the dusty floor.
To be trodden on,
We fear that that is what must’ve happened
There’s no other way
This baby could become this dumb, become this dumb,
This normal baby could become this dumb.
For lo, said he, and drew his sword,
I’ll leap right into the flames!
They cannot harm me, he said,
I’m too cool to feel pain!
But now, we look, and now we see
The truth of our ‘hero’
He’s just a nancy idiot, nancy idiot,
He’s just a nancy idiot.

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

December 15th, 2008, 2:40 pm
Dragon Egg Carrier
Dragon Egg Carrier

Affiliation: Vardens
Yeah, I've neaver met any one who hates the books. Just people who've read them and think they're fine, or people who just don;t care. Or people like me, totaly obsessed with them.

April 2nd, 2009, 8:52 pm
DragonRider
DragonRider

people who hate the book have no lives!!! :x :x

July 26th, 2009, 4:54 pm
New DragonRider
New DragonRider

Location: I don't know! How do you expect me to tell you when I don't even know myself!
Affiliation: Elves
Ha Ha! :lol:

I haven't really run across any real haters, but my friend read the first few pages of Eragon and threw it down and said,"This is boring." :shock: I don't get how she found the begging scene boring at all! :?

"Hey there. Here's something familiar, a bat. Hope you like it." ~Mitsuko Souma (Battle Royale).

"Beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes clean to the bone."~Dorothy Parker

Inigo:"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."
Westley: "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."
~William Goldman (The Princess Bride)

"Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know."
— Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl)

July 26th, 2009, 9:44 pm
DragonRider
DragonRider

all my firend dont like the book because as said before they could not get past like the 3'rd chapter and thats because it is the beggining and they dont even know what the book is about but most my freinds saw the movie and dont care for th books and one of my friend even though iv told him the names like 50 times but he still calls them eragon 1, 2, and 3 just to annoy me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil:

July 30th, 2009, 3:57 pm
Peasant
Peasant

Location: In the almost always rainy city of Vancouver, Canada, waiting until I go to the Bahamas.
Affiliation: Elves
Some of my friends who I was sure would like the book thought it was boring. Weird. :-s

September 22nd, 2010, 12:56 am
DragonRider
DragonRider

Affiliation: Skulblakans
I originally come from the mainstream site Inheritance Forums, and trust me, there are HUNDREDS of haters that go there. Don't be fooling, many of them are good friends of mine, but as they said, the hype has withered away in them, and they begin to pull apart the books plot hole by plot hole.

It makes me sad to see that people can't just simply enjoy a good story now and then.

Medalanim Nesa
Tyran Vaerin
<::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::)}====<>
--WARNING--
If you or someone you know experiences 5 or more of these symptoms:
-Smug, relaxed, or gentle grin plastered on face-Random giddiness-Irrational desire to talk about ponies/ show off ponies-Daydreaming-Urge to listen to, whistle, hum, or even sing MLP songs or Brony songs-Urge to sporadically do something good-Draw Ponies-Watch episodes of MLP-Urge to write/read Fanfiction-Irrational joy-Urge to sing MLP songs at the top of your lungs, despite others around-Listen to MLP songs full volume on the biggest speakers you can find-Pinkie Pie like giddiness and energy-Loss of the ability to feel shame and disappointment-Elated euphoria every time you say something pony related-Carefree thoughts-increased energy in movements and walking
They might like the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Ponies are for everyone. Consult an experienced Brony before use.

February 14th, 2011, 2:23 pm
Admin
Admin

Affiliation: Fyrm Club
Dragon: Shedai
I know what you mean, it makes me sad as well. I can't understand the mindset, life is too short to be wasting valuable time critiquing something to death. I'm not going to deny it has its flaws, or say that there's no merit in discussing them, because that's not true. I can pick them out by the boatload if I wished. Or I can just enjoy myself :P

Myn's Bio

February 14th, 2011, 4:46 pm