It is currently October 24th, 2017, 9:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Luck in Loss 
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Affiliation: Dragonriders
Dragon: Melanthor
Post Re: Luck in Loss
"I may have understated a bit," Ryker said, hiding a smile behind his hand as he watched Soleil and her twin gaping that the sights that were displayed in front of them. He heard something moving through the air and looked up just in time to see a guard land in front of Lei. "Ah, Irina. I didn't know you were on the gate today," he said warmly. "These lovely ladies are Soleil and Illuna. Soleil is the one with the sun tattoo and Illuna has the moon tattoo. The wolves are their companions; the small she-wolf is Sasha and the black behemoth is Veer. The dragoness we've all had the pleasure of meeting is Valora," he continued, introducing the group.

"And as for how I find strange people in strange places," he added, placing a thumb on his nose cheekily, "a magician never reveals their secrets."

Sasha looked around, the tip of her black nose quivering as she breathed in a multitude of new scents that emanated from the city. She could also smell freshly turned earth, manure, and plant-life wafting over from the fields. How can they grow anything in the middle of the desert, let alone keep this place hidden? she asked Illuna, her voice colored with awe.

I would guess that magic is involved. Look inside the walls. I see a number of elves moving about. If I had to guess, I would say it's their handiwork, Lu quietly replied. She stepped forward and shook hands with the guard.

"Hello, it's a pleasure to meet you. Irina, was it? This is a marvelous place you've got. Sasha is fascinated by your fields, I told her I think the elves must be responsible for your people being able to grow crops in the desert. Am I right?" she said in a friendly tone, smiling warmly at the girl.

Yes, as Ryker said, I am Valora. It is a pleasure to meet you. As Lu said, this is a magnificent place that you call home. I have to say, as many times as I've been to the desert, I'm a little surprised that I haven't spotted it before, the ruby dragoness said to Irina.

Darian leaned against the wall beside the door leading into the Business Center. She was bouncing her heel against the wall, her hands behind her head as she looked up at the ceiling. She was bored waiting on the new arrivals and had resorted to counting the knots in the boards that made up the roof. She looked over at Verdican as he spoke, smiling at how awkward he behaved at the prospect of meeting new people.

"Refugees. I bet they're refugees of a sort. And from the looks of them, I don't ever want to meet what it is they're running from. Anything that can scare a group like that is something that's best avoided," she said pensively. She laughed aloud at his last statement. "Oh Ver, I have a feeling as well. And it's saying that 'crazy' isn't quite the adjective you're looking for."

Like the majestic dragon, Saphira, you are brave and ferocious in battle but also deep in ancient wisdom. You think before flying headfirst into battle. You prefer the solitude of the wilderness to the populated cities of Alagaesia.

SF Facebook

Raven & Oceanis, Tobias & Avalon, Taren, Valora, Liam, Aero, Arston & Arturos, Jason,
Lee & Melanthor, Silas, Asa & Naor, Darian, Illuna, Blake, Anastasia, Luka, Rok, Gwen, Ryker

There's no such thing as sane, we're all crazy.
Well hello Captain Obvious...Nice to meet you, I'm Lieutenant Sarcasm. >:)
Something here doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick. - The Doctor

Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me while I'm cross!

April 7th, 2014, 5:25 am
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD

Affiliation: Elves
Dragon: Existiea
Verdican grimaced, "Gods... as if we need more townsfolk." He looked out the door, watching the group make their way toward the building, "Must be something tough. Or someone."

He stopped pacing, finally standing still, right next to Darian, his back straight, just as they opened up the door to walk in.

Irina grinned at Ryker, "Secrets aren't good, hon, you know that. Besides, I highly doubt its that complicated. Well great to meet everyone! As for you're questions I'll take them in order. The lake was actually made by my friend Darian, who would probably love to tell you that story on her own. We grow crops with some help from the Elves... but a lot of us are half-elves as it is, so we have our own skill with crops." She took a deep breath, pushing open the door to the Business Center.

"And we remain hidden through both magical wards and natural concealment. The white brick that makes up all of our buildings refracts the same color as the sand, and we use magic to conceal the lake and the crops. It's effective as long as nothing is approaching by sky, and for that conflict we usually spot the issue before hand and throw up wards above our city." She smiled, and moved to Darian and Verdican, "Hey guys! This is Soleil, the one with the Sun tattoo, Illuna, with the moon tattoo, Sasha the white wolf, Veer the incredibly large wolf and Valora, a dragoness. I'm afraid that Veer and Valora wont fit inside... so we'll have to fetch the Chief."

She ran off to one of the adjacent rooms, looking for the Chief.

Soleil was amazed, she didn't know that anything could be so complex, yet simple, "You're half-elves? Human and Elf? Talk about unusual." She scuffed her toe, nodding at the other two city Guards who stood along a wall, one seemed bored, the other seemed nervous for some reason.

Soleil gently pressed into Illuna's mind, This place is insane. Who would have guessed that we'd find a random city in the desert with it's own personal water source. Unbelievable.

Good:
Caete
Niriz
Isabella & Nirexi
Ardyce & Existiae
Notus

Neutral:
Jo
Nirafe
Vinixia
Garm
Irina
Verdican

Evil:
Aescix
Soleil

April 7th, 2014, 6:09 am
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

"Ah, but I wouldn't be half as interesting if you knew all of mine, now would I?" Ryker said to Irina, chuckling as she walked away. "If you didn't catch everything she said, feel free to ask me later," he said to the group. He grinned when he turned around and watched them looking everything over with awestruck faces. Even the wolves were showing interest in their surroundings. "Hello Darian, Verdican. Who did you two annoy to land guard duty? I thought the wall and recon missions were more to your liking?" he asked.

"I'm not sure she should have revealed all of that information," Darian said pensively, watching her captain retreat into the Business Center. "Hello Ryker. I should be asking what you're doing here. Didn't you go out on that recon mission with the group that left out this morning?" she asked the Werecat. She stopped kicking the wall and put her hands in her pockets, nodding to each member of the group as he introduced them.

"What did Irina mean when she said you made the lake?" Lu asked curiously after introductions were made. The girl in front of her didn't look like much, but there was a hint of elven blood in the structure of her face and the slight points on the tips of her ears.

I would assume that she meant the girl used magic, Valora said, looking at the guard for confirmation. The ruby dragoness looked at the fidgety guard and leaned in close, sniffing the air in front of him. She lifted her head and stared at him for a long time through one ruby-and-rust colored eye. Hello, she said after awhile.

Darian smiled at the dragoness and girl. "She meant what she said, I made the lake. But no, I didn't use magic. Watch closely," she said, lifting her hand to chest height. She turned her palm up and started pulling water from the air, forcing it to coalesce into a clear orb that floated a little bit above her bare skin. When it was two-inches in diameter, she stopped calling on the water in the atmosphere and let it hover in the air over her palm. Winking at Ryker, she tossed the ball of water up into the air and commanded it to smack Verdican on the back of the neck. The blue-eyed spy grinned evilly as the water made contact.

Like the majestic dragon, Saphira, you are brave and ferocious in battle but also deep in ancient wisdom. You think before flying headfirst into battle. You prefer the solitude of the wilderness to the populated cities of Alagaesia.

SF Facebook

Raven & Oceanis, Tobias & Avalon, Taren, Valora, Liam, Aero, Arston & Arturos, Jason,
Lee & Melanthor, Silas, Asa & Naor, Darian, Illuna, Blake, Anastasia, Luka, Rok, Gwen, Ryker

Something here doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick. - The Doctor

April 7th, 2014, 7:34 pm
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD

Verdican looked at Valora, "Hello, pleased to meet your acquaintance." Then he felt a cold and wet ball of water hit his neck. He wasn't mad... but he saw an opening. What a great way to show off to these strangers that they weren't to be played with. "You'll regret that, Dar."

He immediately twisted on his heels, dropping to the floor to kick out Darian's leg from under her, as quick as ever, he then used his momentum to pop up and grab onto one of the roof supports and climb up, nimbly leaping from support to support as he got several feet away from Darian.

Soleil was impressed by this town, they seemed to be very much like her sort of place. She wondered what 'recon' missions they went on. From the way these people spoke it involved strength, which she had miles to spare of.

Verdican was fast, she could give him that, but she knew she could probably keep up with him, maybe even go faster because of her transmission. "Are all you're guards this energetic, Ryker?"

Irina glanced around spotting the Chief, "Ey, Chief! You'll find this funny, but they have a dragon with them, and she can't fit through the door all the way, so currently only her head and neck are through the door." The Chief blinked, then chuckled, "Been a long time since a dragon has come around. Come Irina, lets go see them."

Good:
Caete
Niriz
Isabella & Nirexi
Ardyce & Existiae
Notus

Neutral:
Jo
Nirafe
Vinixia
Garm
Irina
Verdican

Evil:
Aescix
Soleil

April 7th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Darian yelped as Verdican kicked her feet out from under her, twisting around so that she landed on her palms and the balls of her feet. "Nice moves Ver, you almost had me," she said with a laugh, jumping straight up. At the top of her jump she reached out and tapped the roof beam he was standing on, flash freezing it with a super-slick coating of ice. "But I think I win this round," she said with a wink as she touched back down on the floor.

"I suppose you could say that. But these two are also a special kind of headcase," Ryker replied with a chuckle. "Hey now! No need for that!" the Werecat cried out in dismay as Darian lobbed a ball of water at his face. He grumbled darkly, dragging the sleeve of his shirt across his face to mop the water up.

Lu giggled at the antics of the two guards, she couldn't help it. The energy of the two was quite infectious.

What can you tell us about this mysterious Chief? Valora asked, directing her question to Ryker and the guards.

SF Facebook

April 8th, 2014, 12:31 am
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD

Verdican laughed, and let his feet slide off the beam, landing nimbly on the floor, "We have a lot of energy. We're used to more strenuous things than the Wall." He gave a slight bow, then strode back next to Darian, shoving her lightly with his shoulder. "No real need to tell you about him, you'll see him soon enough."

Soleil huffed, "This place is crazy." She looked around in the direction that Irina had skipped off to, and finally saw a glimpse of the blonde woman, then who she presumed to be the chief. A bulky man, large muscles and a face that looked like it enjoyed laughing. Soleil was already annoyed.

Irina smiled, waltzing up to the group, "Alright everyone! This is the Chief, he's the main representative of the City." She moved aside, letting him step forward and offer his hand first to Illuna, then Soleil. His voice rumbled from his chest in a deep baritone, "Hello, travelers, I'm afraid I'm going to have to hold you up for just a few moments. It's required that we debrief all newcomers on the rules and laws of our city." He inclined his head, smiling, "First, all formal business inquiries will be settled here, at the Business Center. As you may have guessed we make much of our income on mercenary work, be that sellswords or assassins, you will come here to handle it." He glanced around, taking a breath, "Second, crime is handled by the Military, the jail is located in the Military HQ which is located in the west side of town. Depending on the offense there may or may not be a trial." He began walking to the desk at the head of the room, lifting up a few sheets of paper, "Just a moment more, then we'll be done. I simply need to record you're names, and the reason for you're stay in Vereshae and you will be on you're way." He quickly jotted down their names, awaiting their reasons.

Irina grinned, she was always amused by the Chief's spiel, and wondered if he ever tired of it, "See, nothing too bad, guys. Every new person goes through the same thing. When we're done Dar, Ver and I will take you over to the Inn where you can get rooms, or to the Markets, whichever you prefer."

Good:
Caete
Niriz
Isabella & Nirexi
Ardyce & Existiae
Notus

Neutral:
Jo
Nirafe
Vinixia
Garm
Irina
Verdican

Evil:
Aescix
Soleil

April 8th, 2014, 4:37 am
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

"Yes, I imagine guarding a wall in the middle of the desert when no one knows you're here could get boring after awhile," Lu said to Verdican, a small smile on her lips. She noticed the Chief and Irina a few seconds after Lei. The half-Shade shook his hand firmly and murmured a greeting, listening carefully to what he had to say. "We really don't have a particular reason for being here. We were simply traveling through the desert when Sasha," she indicated the white wolf, "stumbled upon Ryker. After a few tense moments we came to an understanding and here we are."

It would be nice if we could stay here for a bit before leaving. The desert is hot on my paws, but in this city the ground is cooler, Sasha said, restricting her comment to their group.

Don't worry Sasha, I think we'll be alright to stay. This Chief seems like a pretty friendly fellow. As long as he feels that we don't pose an unreasonable threat I can't see any reason for him to turn us out, Valora said. She turned to the Chief, looking him up and down. Do you have accommodations large enough for a dragon? she asked him.

"That's pretty much how it happened," Ryker said to the Chief, confirming Illuna's story, "They're a pretty powerful bunch, but I assure you that they, personally, do not pose a threat to the city."

Darian's gaze flicked to Ryker after he spoke. She believed him when he said they were not threats themselves, but the way he said "personally" made her wonder if there was something in their pasts that might come back to bite them while in the city. She crossed her arms and looked at the twin with the sun tattoo. "Where did you say you and your sister were from? It must be a strange land to breed girls with red eyes," she asked, feigning a curious look.

SF Facebook

April 8th, 2014, 4:50 am
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD

Verdican smiled, and nodded to Illuna, "Not many understand. We get many visitors regularly, one of the illusion wards hides the fact that we are a mere hours travel away from Du Weldenvarden. We are far more accessible than we'd have people believe." He took a step closer, intrigued by this person, "The wall is vital to our survival, it provides stability, strength and is imposing to outsiders, yet to us it is our home and livelihood, I would not say that it is boring... it is simply just not where I am at my best."

Soleil immediately felt her hackles raise at Darian's question, "We didn't." She hated when people assumed that they would fall for that trick.

"If that's it, we'd like to get a move on. I think the group has agreed that we'd like to stay a while." Soleil frowned, crossing her arms and immediately took a step backward, aligning herself with her sister.

Irina smiled, "Well then, I'd say you were here for visiting then. Touristry is a big one here too." The sarcasm in her voice permeated the air and she chuckled, quieting down when she realized no one laughed at her joke. "Eh. We'll head out then, Chief. I'll debrief them on different things to do in the city." She smiled, waved and then went to the door, holding it open for the others.

Good:
Caete
Niriz
Isabella & Nirexi
Ardyce & Existiae
Notus

Neutral:
Jo
Nirafe
Vinixia
Garm
Irina
Verdican

Evil:
Aescix
Soleil

April 8th, 2014, 5:24 am
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Darian smiled openly at Soleil, pretending she was amused. "Well surely you have some story of home you can entertain us with. It would probably be more interesting than Irina's non-stop trivia about the city," she said, grinning at her friend.

"And where would you say that you are at your best?" Lu asked. She was intrigued about everything in this city, especially the people. It was all quite fascinating. She sensed Lei's defensiveness and looked over at her twin, arching her eyebrows questioningly. She could tell her sister was irked with Darian from the way she was glaring at her with her arms crossed defensively in front of her.

Irina, what is your favorite place in the city? It seems to me like a local would know all of the best places, Valora asked, looking down at her as they walked.

Ryker glanced coolly from Darian to Soleil, wondering if the two were going to come to blows or just verbally joust with each other. Going by what he knew about the two girls, he couldn't see Soleil keeping her cool long enough to prevent Darian from getting the answers she wanted, directly or indirectly. They are friendly. Your interrogation is unnecessary, he said to her privately. He shrugged when she shot him a sharp look.

SF Facebook

April 8th, 2014, 5:39 am
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD

Verdican smiled lightly, he didn't mind this one, she was polite, and seemed quiet, like him, "Well, I'm good at sneaking around. I'm more of a... sniper, than an up close fighter." He looked at Darian, giving her a questioning look.

Soleil huffed, then turned to look at Darian, "Actually, we're very much interested in the city. I think a tour would be just lovely.
She turned her attention onto Irina, who looked more than a little excited to take over with information.

Irina's face brightened, after having fallen slightly from Darian's teasing, "Really? Well Valora, and Soleil! The tour shall begin! Some of my favorite places are of course, the pub, the Academy, or the Markets! There's always something going on here! And actually, y'all arrived just in time." She turned around, walking backwards and motioning to her right, "See those tents pitched up along there? The traders have come into town! You'll see many of things, arms and armor, knick knacks, beautiful glass ware, it's a lovely time." She grinned from ear to ear, happy that she could be a guide for a day.

Good:
Caete
Niriz
Isabella & Nirexi
Ardyce & Existiae
Notus

Neutral:
Jo
Nirafe
Vinixia
Garm
Irina
Verdican

Evil:
Aescix
Soleil

April 10th, 2014, 8:28 pm
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Darian chuckled at Soleil as she very pointedly turned to Irina and began listening to her talk about the city. "The traders are here already?" she asked, slightly surprised. She thought they weren't supposed to be here until next week. She grinned excitedly, immediately thinking about stopping in with her favorite sweets vendor. He always had something interesting stored in the back for her. "I vote we go say hello to the traders first," she said solemnly, raising her hand.

"I second that motion," Lu laughed, raising her hand in unison with Darian. "A sniper, hunh?" she said, looking him up and down. "I buy it. You certainly look stealthier than Darian, and you're definitely quieter than Irina," she said teasingly, grinning cheekily at the female guards. She glanced over at her sister, who was acting very enamored with what Irina had to say. What did you do to Darian? she asked, mentally poking her.

Ryker sighed exasperatedly when Darian became distracted by the idea of sweets. You're not very determined for an interrogator, you know that, right? he asked her, silently chuckling. She looked back at him over her shoulder, sticking her tongue out like a child. "I think the pub sounds like a nice place to start. We can all get a drink before we start traipsing around the entire city," he said to Irina.

I don't mind where we begin, it's all fascinating to me, Valora said as the others called out places they'd like to visit. I don't know if the traders would have anything for a dragon and I doubt the pub is big enough to accommodate me, but I'll go wherever you lead us, she said.

SF Facebook

April 10th, 2014, 11:21 pm
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD

Verdican blushed, scuffing the toe of his boot in the dirt, "You're mostly correct. Darian is definitely our front line girl. She can wreck a platoon of Galbatorix's finest knights, just with that rope javelin of hers. She doesn't necessarily kill them either. Irina's a really good mix of the two of us. She can destroy someone up close or far away. She's great at sneaking around, but she can also be loud." He shrugged, glancing up at Illuna, "We're well rounded."

Soleil perked up at that, "Ah, the pub! I can get in on that! How about we go get us some alcohol, then take a gander at the markets. Maybe I can find me a new dagger.. this one I have just isn't... cutting it." She chuckled darkly, fingering the sheath of her dagger, before dropping her hand.

I did nothing. I think Ryker said something to her. I was making it clear that she should back off though. Our business is nothing but our own. I don't care if the cat knows more than he should. Its the stigma of his breed, but this over confident welp? No. I will not stand for it. Her eyes flicked to Illuna, doing a quick sight check to read her eyes.

Good:
Caete
Niriz
Isabella & Nirexi
Ardyce & Existiae
Notus

Neutral:
Jo
Nirafe
Vinixia
Garm
Irina
Verdican

Evil:
Aescix
Soleil

April 11th, 2014, 5:30 am
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

"I can see how your unit would be effective with a mix like that," Lu said approvingly. With the different skill sets of each member, it was a very well-rounded combat team. She knew how well she and her sister complemented each other in battle, having a third member added to the mix would only make them even more deadly. "Lei, don't you think it would be wiser to get a drink after you haggle with the traders? If you're falling over drunk, don't expect me to save you from getting fleeced," she warned her.

Growling at her like that will only make her more suspicious and determined to find out what we're hiding. She's only trying to protect her home, she sighed, glancing at the blonde-haired guard out of the corner of her eye.

"Then again, Lu makes a good point," Ryker said with a chuckle, "Although I doubt Lei will allow herself to get drunk, so I think we're safe."

Let's all get something to drink first. If Lei does let herself get drunk before bartering, then I'll have no pity for her if she wastes all of her money, Valora said, echoing Illuna. The ruby dragoness looked at Ryker suddenly. It just occurred to me that you've been in human form this whole time. Wouldn't you be more comfortable in your real body? she asked him.

Valora turned to Soleil, frowning at her. No more puns for you, she said dryly.

Ryker laughed at Valora's question. "You're kidding, right? With it this hot outside? No thank you. I would bake before I even finished the change," he said. "If you're curious as to what I really look like, I'll show you after we're all done and settled in somewhere cool," he promised. He didn't mind changing in front of them, he was used to people being curious about it.

Darian snatched a pebble off of the ground and lobbed it at Ryker. "Show-off," she teased when she heard him talking to Valora about showing his cat-form. "Well Lei, looks like you're on your own. I also won't stop you from making a fool of yourself if it comes down to it," she said cheekily. "The pub is just up ahead. Don't worry Valora, we'll get a window seat and open it so you can be included," she said, patting the ruby dragoness on the shoulder.

SF Facebook

April 11th, 2014, 7:08 pm
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD
ROBOT KITTEN FOOD

"Ha! Lu as if! You know it takes barrels of alcohol to get me drunk!" Soleil, smirked, her hands flexing as the sun beat down on her skin. She glanced over at Darian, deciding to leave her be for now, but definitely not opening her mouth nor mind to the irritating girl.

"Ryker, I think sun baked would be an awfully good look on you." She chuckled moving forward to be on par with Irina.

At the mention of the markets Irina perked up even more, "Oh! The markets are amazing, located near to most of the apartments and homes," She grinned motioning toward the left side of the looping path where there were barely noticeable clouds in the air, and several horse drawn carts coming and going, "And if you are looking for extra weapons Darian's mom is one of the best smiths that lives in the city! Like really! She's incredible!" Irina jumped, doing a small twist in the air to point directly at Darian, her finger coming inches from the other girls nose.

She stared with a grin for a long moment before leaning slightly forward to poke her nose. "Right, Darian? Oh and yes, silly. They came in a day ago, very late in the evening. I was on watch that night. It looked like they had some really awesome sweets this time. I could smell the sugar off some of the carts... Oh golly I want some." She removed her hand and sighed, immediately turning to the road again and taking off in a brisk walk toward the tents and bustle.

"Illuna I apologize for my friends, they are excitable." Verdican mumbled to their new companion, with a slight crook to his eyes. "But yes, the pub is a pleasant place. Valora, Im sure the barkeep will be enamored with you, and would most likely gladly let you tear the roof off of his establishment if you so pleased." He gave a small smile, to indicate that he was joking and noticed Irina's behaviour a moment later.

"Irina! Don't shove you're hands in peoples faces! Dear god these people probably think we're nuts. I'm not nuts. I don't know them. Either of them." His words started loud and petered off into semi-furious embarrassed mumbling. Then realized Irina was taking off without them, and turned his body still facing the ground and started moving. "Lord... come everyone... this way."

Good:
Caete
Niriz
Isabella & Nirexi
Ardyce & Existiae
Notus

Neutral:
Jo
Nirafe
Vinixia
Garm
Irina