It is currently January 23rd, 2019, 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Dragonriders of Pern discussion group *spoilers* 
Global Moderator...
Global Moderator...

Affiliation: Surdans
Dragon: Llyelia
Post Re: The Dragonriders of Pern discussion group *spoilers*
Oh, perfect Annie! You're a lifesaver! Well, a sanity saver at any rate... I might go and buy one today, though I know that Waterstone's doesn't have that many lol :lol:

June 19th, 2008, 12:59 pm
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Affiliation: Dragonriders
Dragon: Melanthor
*sigh* Why do bookstores never carry the good books??? WHY????? *chokes a pillow in frustration*

Like the majestic dragon, Saphira, you are brave and ferocious in battle but also deep in ancient wisdom. You think before flying headfirst into battle. You prefer the solitude of the wilderness to the populated cities of Alagaesia.

SF Facebook

Raven & Oceanis, Tobias & Avalon, Taren, Valora, Liam, Aero, Arston & Arturos, Jason,
Lee & Melanthor, Silas, Asa & Naor, Darian, Illuna, Blake, Anastasia, Luka, Rok, Gwen, Ryker

There's no such thing as sane, we're all crazy.
Well hello Captain Obvious...Nice to meet you, I'm Lieutenant Sarcasm. >:)
Something here doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick. - The Doctor

Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me while I'm cross!

June 19th, 2008, 7:55 pm
Admin
Admin

Affiliation: SF Rebels
Dragon: Imnaha
These are all the books I've read in the series.
** Dragonflight (1968)
** Dragonquest (1971)
** Dragonsong (1976)
** Dragonsinger 1977)
** The White Dragon (1978)
** Dragondrums (1979)
** Moreta: Dragonlady Of Pern (1983)
** Nerilka’s Story (1984)
** Dragonsdawn (1988)
** The Renegades Of Pern (1989)
** All The Weyrs Of Pern (1991)
** The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (1993)
** The Masterharper Of Pern (1998)
** The Skies of Pern (2001)
** The Dolphins of Pern

** A Gift of Dragons (2002)
This is one book and it includes the following stories:
** The Smallest Dragonboy,
** The Girl Who Heard Dragons,
**The Impression --This one I cannot remember if it's included in this book)
** Runner Of Pern,

Since I still have boxes of my stuff in my daughter's basement, I cannot verify if The Impression is included in A Gift of Dragons.

In regards to “Beyond Between” in: Legends II (anthology edited by Robert Silverberg) I took the book as aloan from the local library. This is the story of what Moreta lived when she went in between during her heroic effort to save lives during the terrible epidemic that almost finished off the inhabitants of Pern. I need to point out that the story is so touching, I cried my eyes out.

June 19th, 2008, 9:39 pm
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

*gives Annie a tissue, just in case* Awww, Annie, don't go crying about it now... Think of all the good she did, going between.

Like the majestic dragon, Saphira, you are brave and ferocious in battle but also deep in ancient wisdom. You think before flying headfirst into battle. You prefer the solitude of the wilderness to the populated cities of Alagaesia.

SF Facebook

Raven & Oceanis, Tobias & Avalon, Taren, Valora, Liam, Aero, Arston & Arturos, Jason,
Lee & Melanthor, Silas, Asa & Naor, Darian, Illuna, Blake, Anastasia, Luka, Rok, Gwen, Ryker

Something here doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick. - The Doctor

June 20th, 2008, 6:51 am
Master DragonRider
Master DragonRider

Location: In the land of Alagaesia, admiring Saphira with my dragon Wistala
Dragon: Wistala
Wait. How could Moreta have any thoughts when she was between if it only takes three winks for dragon and Rider to freeze to death? That seem kinda... impossible, except for unimportant fleeting thoughts like "I never did the laundry today," or something.

"The worth is in the act. Your worth halts when you surrender the will to change and experience life. But options are before you; choose one and dedicate yourself to it. The deeds will give you new hope and purpose."
"The only true guide is your heart. Nothing less than its supreme desire can help you."
"Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now."
"You give more of yourself when you have an opponent."
"People, sheep: what difference is there to a dragon?"
"I am not a hatchling. You need not check on my health every few minutes."

First beware Pride, lest belief in ones might--Has you discount the foeman who is braving your sight.

June 21st, 2008, 3:22 am
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

If they're going someWHERE it only takes 3 winks. If they're going someWHEN it takes longer. Which is why going between time is so much more dangerous than the already dangerous, everday between places.

Remember, when Lessa and Ramoth went between to bring the Weyrs forward, she almost died, because she went back in time so far.

SF Facebook

June 21st, 2008, 4:39 am
Admin
Admin

Affiliation: SF Rebels
Dragon: Imnaha
i-luv-saphira wrote:
Wait. How could Moreta have any thoughts when she was between if it only takes three winks for dragon and Rider to freeze to death? That seem kinda... impossible, except for unimportant fleeting thoughts like "I never did the laundry today," or something.

If I have the chance and the time, I'll go to the library, (it's just across my street) see if they have the book available, photocopy the story and e-mail it to you.

June 21st, 2008, 2:29 pm
Master DragonRider
Master DragonRider

But Lessa and Ramoth also did it in one jump, not take in seperate intervals like you're supposed to do so the dragon can recuperate.

Oh, did you all notice that a second edition of the Dragonlover's Guide to Pern has been released? It's detailing life on Pern after AIVAS was introduced and Thread was destroyed. It's really very cool, but I'm only sticking with the first edition so I don't get any spoilers for how they manage to do it. And, with the aid of the Guide, I'm finally able to understand not only the complex relationship between dragon and Rider, and how big the dragons actually are, but I can confirm my Threadfall theory!

"The worth is in the act. Your worth halts when you surrender the will to change and experience life. But options are before you; choose one and dedicate yourself to it. The deeds will give you new hope and purpose."
"The only true guide is your heart. Nothing less than its supreme desire can help you."
"Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now."

First beware Pride, lest belief in ones might--Has you discount the foeman who is braving your sight.

July 31st, 2008, 5:51 pm
Master DragonRider
Master DragonRider

It's official. My threadfall theory is correct. I have gone over the charts countless times and did the scientific method on it, and my theory is correct. I just finished All the Weyrs of Pern and now doing First Fall.

What did you all think about how the engines were used? I thought it was very clever, using the engines of the Yokohama to blow the Red Star off its orbit.

December 21st, 2008, 8:10 am
Master DragonRider
Master DragonRider

I love these books. They are my absolute favorite. I own half of the series, and still working through it. I've read the original series, the ones that focus on Lessa, F'lar, Ramoth, Mnementh, Jaxom and those guys + I own all these as well. I've got to find time to read the rest now that I have a library card

Image Image
Mother Teresa: "I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."
Bernard Malamud: "Without heroes we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go."

November 24th, 2009, 7:46 pm
RPG Team Head
RPG Team Head

Location: attending a pie-eating contest with the other aspiring evil overlords
Affiliation: Skulblakans
Dragon: Ardel
Well I know a few of you are into this series, and I just wanted to let everyone who's interested know that I finally decided to join in the fun. I just finished the first book (Dragonflight) today and greatly enjoyed it. :D Too bad the local book store is 45 minutes away... and I'm completely out of money... gah.

****Phalynx**Solarae**Rigel**Alna'ir**Sirius**Ecco**Temias**Kalo****

And I'm watching out for your charries, ILS.
*****Faefnir***Navarre***Rimfax*****

August 15th, 2010, 1:50 am
Master DragonRider
Master DragonRider

Ha ha! I knew you'd like them. I've got all five of the books that pertain directly to Lessa, F'lar, and their family and friends.

You have to read the second one though, as quickly as possible, Dragonquest that book will really throw you in. There is a particular spot that nearly tore my heart out. Out of all the books I've read that one and All the Weyrs of Pern are the only ones that made my cry.

Image Image
Mother Teresa: "I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."
Bernard Malamud: "Without heroes we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go."

August 15th, 2010, 1:56 am
RPG Team Head
RPG Team Head

Oo, if they've drawn you in that much then they must be good. Gah I don't know when I'll be able to go back and get the second one!! Or when I'll have enough money... maybe our library has it, though I doubt it. It's kind of tiny. I am excited to keep reading the series though. :D

August 15th, 2010, 2:16 am
RPG Team Head
RPG Team Head

Sorry for the double-post, but it's been a long time and I need to update! :D

Anyway, I got all of the five main books (F'lar/Lessa/etc) and the Dolphins of Pern. I haven't read Dolphins yet and I'm a little over halfway through The Skies of Pern.

These books are awesome, and my favorite characters at the moment are Jaxom and Ruth (The White Dragon and All the Weyrs were my favorite books).

Once I'm done with Skies and Dolphins I'd like to move on to some of the books taking place earlier in time. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

August 27th, 2011, 4:20 am
Master DragonRider
Master DragonRider

Well If you haven't read Moreta yet you definitely should, since she is mentioned alot.

And guess what, those are my favorite too! I actually named my first dog Jaxom!

And I have to ask what did you think about what happened in the second book, between Brekke and Kylara(?) I think that was her name, between their dragons I mean? I was soooooo mad at that part. I wished with every part of my being that I could beat Kylara(?)!!

I also cried at the end of the [sorta] fourth one when Masterharper Robinton died and his little firelizard :cry:

Image Image

September 1st, 2011, 3:40 am