It is currently January 18th, 2019, 12:40 am

All times are UTC

Ranger's Apprentice 
Wise DragonRider
Wise DragonRider

Affiliation: Skulblakans
Post Ranger's Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what this book is about, if it is worth reading, how many books there are and details like that. Thank you!

May 11th, 2010, 1:43 pm
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Affiliation: Werecats
Dragon: Scathlocke
Post Re: Ranger's Apprentice
*Cackles* Thank you for asking that! *Bows* I shall now explain to you the AWESOMENESS that is Ranger's Apprentice! ^?^

What it's about:

As for that, it depends on which of the ten (So far) books you're reading. The first one and a half books are about this young boy (Fifteen year old) named Will. He's an orphan and he wants to be a knight, but he's really small for his age and therefore not strong enough for the training. So instead he has to become apprentice to a Ranger, Halt. It's the job of a ranger to report to the king on how each fief is doing with training soldiers, they've also got to potral the fief, that sort of thing. Sometimes they work as scouts as well. Anyways, Will trains under Halt and, at the end of the first book, has to prove that he's worthy, in a way.

In the SECOND book Will's feeling a bit down and whatnot, so Halt sends him on a mission with a ranger closer to his (Wills') own age, and a trainee knight called Horace from the first book. They're investigating odd goings-on in another kingdom. While there they find a young girl named Evanlyn. From there Will, Horace, and Evanlyn get seperated from the ranger. That turns out to be a good thing because they learn the Dark Lord Morgaraths' plot, which they have to stop before it can be completed. They try to, but Will and Evanlyn get captured and taken across seas to a place called Skandia.

The next two books are about Will and Evanlyn trying to stay alive/escape from Skandia whil Halt and Horace try to find/rescue them. In conclusion to that particular adventure, book four has an amazing battle in which Will has to make the choice to either refuse to help the Skandians, or forget their cruelty to him and give them aid in the war between them and another country.

Books five and six are set after Will graduates, as in, now he's a full-fledged ranger and lives in his own fief, Seaclif. He's hardly there any time at all when he has to go on a solo mission to a place called Macindaw, a fief in the north where there have been reports of sorcery.

While there he finds out that there's a plot to kill the king, and he suspects the lord of the fief to be responsible. But, when the lord of the fief is struck with a terrible illness, Will has to smuggle him out of the castle to the safety of the forest. In the forest he finds out that the "Sorcery" is really just a misunderstood old man who turns out to be a healer. That done, he has to find a way to defeat the real villain.

With the aid of his lady friend, Alyss Mainwaring, he does indeed find out what's going on. But Alyss gets captured by the dark lord in the process. The main focus of the sixth book is Will trying to rescue her.

The seventh book goes back in time to when Will is his last year of apprenticeship. The Skandian Ober Jarl, Erak, has been taken prisoner by a group of desert nomads who wish to kill him. The seventh book focuses on Will, Halt, and some others trying to rescue Erak.

Sorry I can't tell you much about the last books; I haven't read them yet XD

Is it worth reading:

YES! I've never, NEVER, read a book series as good as Ranger's Apprentice. It's truly amazing, with great characters and believable plots, as well as fantastic flow that makes all of the storylines blend seamlessly together, with plenty of humour along the way. Along with the many exciting twists and turns that the books take, it makes for a great read no matter how old you are!

How many books are there:

Ten, so far. Probably more to come (But SO worth it to read them all)

Other details:

You're almost certain to fall in love with it, so wear a helmet while reading lol

Was that too long? Need anymore information? (It's a GREAT series!) ^?^

May 30th, 2010, 8:22 pm
Wise DragonRider
Wise DragonRider

thanks. :D . i'll probably read it, but i have something else to do for the moment.

May 31st, 2010, 1:10 pm
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Okay ^?^

OH! Another plus to reading ranger's apprentice: When you finish reading it you get to read RANGER'S APPRENTICE FANFICTION! (Which really really rocks!) ^?^

Hope you enjoy the series! ^?^

May 31st, 2010, 2:41 pm
Sovereign DragonRider
Sovereign DragonRider

Affiliation: Lamp Shade
Yess, Ruben, you must read it!! You MUST!!!! As Curfew said, it is a WONDERFUL, AWESOME series!! And if you want to know, the books in the series are so far:

The Ruins of Gorlan
The Burning Bridge
The Icebound Land
The Battle for Skandia
The Sorcerer of the North
The Siege of Macindaw
Erak's Ransom
The Kings of Clonmel
Halt's Peril

June 17th, 2010, 2:28 am
Expert DragonRider
Expert DragonRider

Have you started reading yet?
It is worth it ^-^

I liked the last few books the best~

June 17th, 2010, 10:21 am
Wise DragonRider
Wise DragonRider

i haven't started it yet, but i will soon. matbe today or tomorrow. i forgot about it :D :oops:

June 17th, 2010, 10:24 am
Sovereign DragonRider
Sovereign DragonRider

*screams with joy* The Kings of Clonmel is out and I'm only number nine on the list to get it!!!!!!!!!! *dances around unable to contain her happiness*

June 25th, 2010, 3:43 am
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

YOU FORGOT BOOK TEN: THE EMPORER OF NEHON-JA! EEP! *Huggles the book*

You...you're going to...read The King's of Clomnel? O_O *Goes rabid fangirl and tackle glomps you to steal the precious*

Yeah, Ruben, that's a downer. Because when you read RA you'll inevitably either go insane with rabid-fangirl-mania, or you'll be forever traumatized by other rabid fangirls. *Gets a glock* and now, to raid Australian Bookstore dot com....^?^ :lol:

July 8th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Sovereign DragonRider
Sovereign DragonRider

The Emperor of Nehon? How many book are there going to be?

July 8th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Wise DragonRider
Wise DragonRider

hmmm. i'm not a girl... is this a girl book? i haven't started reading it yet :oops: :oops:

July 10th, 2010, 12:19 pm
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Oh, oops, sorry XP I didn't realize O_O

No, it's not a girl book. It was actualy written for the author, John Flanagans', son. And my friends' fifteen-year-old brother loves it too. It's pretty much good for anyone. ^?^

July 10th, 2010, 9:24 pm
Sovereign DragonRider
Sovereign DragonRider

As Curfew said, it isn't a girl book. My best friend, who is a boy, is reading the series and loves it!

July 10th, 2010, 9:55 pm
Sovereign DragonRider
Sovereign DragonRider

Eeep! I's double posting, but I have to say:

I'VE GOT TO GET MY HANDS ON HALT'S PERIL!!!!!!! I'S SHALT DO ANYTHING TO GET IT!!!!!

October 6th, 2010, 7:49 pm
Cycle Moderator
Cycle Moderator

Heh heh, spoilers! Lol, I can't believe both you AND Rebel fell for 'em XP I am goooooood!

OH MY GOSH! Book 10 came out today! EPICNESS! Right? RIGHT! I SO cannot wait! ^?^

November 4th, 2010, 4:51 pm